Those interested in establishing golf in Brecon first met at the Castle Hotel on 29th September 1902. There they considered a number of possible sites for a course, and decided on the land to the west of Newton Farm.
The cost of laying out the course was £7.16.6d, which represented a labourer’s wages for 12 weeks, and involved cutting and rolling 9 greens and tees. There was a condition in the farmer’s joint lease that fairways had to be kept cut close enough for golf to be played, however the farmer’s interpretation of this was very different to that of the golfers.
The length of the original course was just over 5000 yards, and par for the course was 78. This may seem generous now, but with hickory shafts on a muck strewn hoof marked course it must have presented a challenge.
The original course was improved in a few areas in 1909.
|News & Events|
|Association of James Braid Courses|